This highly-practical, one-day workshop for vets and nurses will help participants to develop knowledge and skills to gain confidence in assessing and treating wild and companion birds, to give them the best chance of a successful outcome.
Topics covered will include:
- Common clinical conditions in birds
- Performing a safe and thorough physical exam
- Essential diagnostics in avian patients
- Common clinical techniques and supportive care for avian patients
- Anaesthesia tips for birds
The practical session will involve a review of the common clinical techniques including blood collection methods and xray positioning, crop tubing, IM and IV injection tips and intraosseous catheter placement, microscopy techniques. Working in groups of maximum 3 people you will get plenty of opportunity to practice the different techniques.
- Confidently and competently conduct a physical examination of an avian patient
- Conduct a variety of routine diagnostic tests on avian patients
- Provide supportive care for the critically ill avian patient
This workshop is accredited for 7 NZVNA CPD points.